Are you interested in KONE as a corporate business or a career opportunity?Corporate site
KONE Corporation, press release, January 23, 2014
KONE, a global leader in the elevator and escalator industry, today revealed its newest innovation in elevator modernization technology, the KONE NanoSpace(TM). It is a machine-room-less elevator full-replacement solution, where an old elevator is replaced by a modern one with the industry's shortest downtime. The new KONE NanoSpace can replace an old elevator in as little as two weeks compared to the industry average of six, significantly improving the comfort of residents living in multi-floor buildings. This is enabled by the new innovative technology, optimized installability and streamlined planning process. In addition, KONE NanoSpace offers maximized space efficiency, best-in-class ride comfort and excellent eco-efficiency.
Elevator modernization is an important issue in today's cities where urban infrastructure is aging. For example in Europe and in the United States, more than half of the elevators in use are over 20 years old*. Modernizing an elevator enhances safety, accessibility and comfort. As populations age, smooth and convenient people flow becomes essential.
KONE NanoSpace provides up to 50% more space inside the elevator compared to older elevators, with no changes to the existing shaft. This is made possible by a highly compact design and the new KONE HybridHoisting(TM) system, which combines belt and rope technologies in a completely new way - the belt moves the elevator and the ropes suspend the car in the shaft. A bigger car, wide-opening automatic doors, smooth leveling, silent operation and visually appealing design matching the building's architecture all further improve the convenience of residents. KONE NanoSpace also significantly reduces energy consumption: the new solution is up to 70% more energy efficient compared to old elevators in use.
"As an innovative company, KONE is constantly looking for better modernization solutions for our customers and their tenants, improving both products and the processes. In KONE NanoSpace, the heart of the innovation is in the process perfection. We have designed every step of the new replacement process to make elevator modernization as smooth as possible," says Pekka Kemppainen, Executive Vice President for Service Business, KONE Corporation.
Modernization business accounts for 16% of KONE's global sales. Elevator modernization solutions range from small updates to full-replacement solutions.
"We see a lot of potential in the modernization business especially in Europe and North America, where the equipment base is rapidly getting older. Also Asia will be an important modernization market for us in the near future - at the moment, two thirds of the new elevator installations are conducted in Asia," continues Kemppainen.
KONE NanoSpace will be available in the European markets during 2014.
For further information, please contact:
Anne Korkiakoski, EVP, Marketing & Communications, KONE Corporation, tel. +358 204 75 4775, firstname.lastname@example.org
Previously published KONE press releases are available at www.kone.com/press.
Images are available in KONE's online image bank.
* European Lift Association (ELA), National Elevator Industry, Inc. (NEII)
|What is new with the KONE NanoSpace(TM)elevator modernization solution|
|Industry's shortest downtime
- The new elevator can be up and running as quickly as in two weeks, compared to the industry average downtime of six weeks
- Enabled by the new innovative technology, optimized installability and streamlined process
|Maximized space efficiency|
- The most space efficient full-replacement elevator solution available in the market
- The size of the elevator car can be increased by as much as 50%
- Enabled by thinner balancing weights, smaller pulleys, and compact safety devices
- Up to 70% more energy-efficient compared to traditional hydraulic and 2-speed geared elevators
- Improved hoisting system to achieve absolute traction
- Low-energy LED lighting and energy-efficient standby solutions to cut the power consumption
|Best-in-class ride comfort|
- A bigger car with wide-opening automatic doors, smooth leveling, and silent operation
- Centralized hoisting and load-weighing device guarantee an easy, steady ride
- Pit-based machinery reduces noise in and outside the car
- Aesthetic experience matching the buildings architecture
KONE is one of the global leaders in the elevator and escalator industry. The company has been committed to understanding the needs of its customers for the past century, providing industry-leading elevators, escalators and automatic building doors as well as innovative solutions for modernization and maintenance. The company's objective is to offer the best People Flow® experience by developing and delivering solutions that enable people to move smoothly, safely, comfortably and without waiting in buildings in an increasingly urbanizing environment. In 2012, KONE had annual net sales of EUR 6.3 billion and around 40,000 employees. KONE class B shares are listed on the NASDAQ OMX Helsinki Ltd in Finland.